Brian French, Arboricultural History
Skilled climber with a broad range of arboriculture related experience with certifications such as CA, CTW, and Tree Risk Assessor. Practicing for over 18 years in Oregon and abroad. Dedicated to and contributor of cutting edge research for a better understanding of trees and safer work practices for arborists worldwide.
ISA Arborist Certification and Certified Tree Worker/Climber/Aerial Lift Specialist PN-2786AT Oregon
Tree Risk Assessment Certification # CTRA 670
CPR and First Aid certification, American Red Cross
Aerial Lift Certification, ACRT
Aerial Rescue Certification, ACRT
Crane Operator Certification
Oregon Saw Chain and Accessories Factory Training Course Proficiency Certificate
Forklift Operator Certification
Construction Industry Safety Training Certificate HR-1060432, Hong Kong
North American Training Solutions and Arboriculture Canada Training and Education LTD
Instructor Intensive Training Camp - Level 1 Certification
Tree Climbing, Work Positioning and Fall Protection Certification
Emergency Readiness and High Angle Rescue Certification
Tree Dynamics and Integrated Risk Assessment Certification
Technical Tree Falling and Cutting Certification
Tree Care Industry Association
Ground Operations Certification, TCIA
Tree Climber Certification, TCIA
Other Qualifications and Training
Commercial Drivers License (CDL) (lapsed 2013)
Commercial Applicator pesticide and fungicide license AG-L1001267CPA (lapsed 2012)
Hazmat and OEC training
Confined Space training
Blood Born Pathogen training
Emergency Response training
Tomography (Arbortom) training-Frank Rinn, Rinntech
Arborist Report Writing, 2 day module-Bill Fountain
Leadership Power Management Courses-Managing People, Personal Communication, Constructive Confrontation
Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, Power Point, Mac Pages, Keynote
ISA Pacific Northwest chapter
International Society of Arboriculture
Tree Care Industry Association
Ancient Tree Forum
Arbor Day Foundation
Alliance for Community Trees
Pacific Northwest Chapter of the International Society of Arboriculture Annual Training Conference
International Society of Arboriculture Annual Training Conference
Oregon Community Trees Annual Training Conference
International Arboriculture Summit - Hong Kong
Completed Plant Identification and Principles of Arboriculture at Clackamas Community College. Other general study classes toward a horticulture degree were completed at Chemeketa Community College
Arboriculture International, Portland, Oregon 2013-Present
• Contract climber and consulting arborist with a focus on wildlife tree retention and habitat programs. CCB: 205536
Oregon Tree Care, Portland, Oregon 2012-2013
• Offers a wide range of climbing services, crew leading and safety program development as needed.
• Prepares inventory, appraisal and risk reports for clients.
Asia Tree Preservation, Hong Kong, China 2010-2011
Arborist Practitioner and culnsulting arborist
• Prepare reports for the government of Hong Kong regarding the risk of selected trees around highly populated areas. Compiled
assessments aided by the Resistograph and/or tomography when applicable.
• Train commercial and government staff in basic, advanced tree climbing, tomography applications and assessments.
Teragan & Associates, Portland, Oregon 2011-2013
• Employed to assist with reports, tree inspections and data analysis. Also offer expertise when climbing is necessary.
Tree Resource, Seattle, Washington 2009-2013
• Available when contacted for advanced climbing, technical rigging, training and consultations.
Collier Arbor Care, Clackamas, Oregon 2001-2004 and 2006-2010
• Lead a department of arborists in crane removals, climbing, pruning, ornamental pruning, stump grinding, customer relations and trained climbers on all the above skills. Was also responsible for making purchase orders, record keeping of all pruning purchases and inventorying all pruning department equipment including work trucks, personal-gear, stump grinding equipment, cabling gear and chainsaws.
• Set many high goals and achieved them as an active member of the safety committee.
City of Beaverton, Beaverton, Oregon 2004-2006
• Maintained a management plan for vehicle and pedestrian clearance, mitigated and implemented necessary removals. Also offered expertise on forest management, diagnosis and treatments for city trees, tree risk assessment reports and abatement measures, public consultations, tree appraisals, tree preservation plans, reviewed development plans, street tree permits, prepared GIS data collection and tree inventory projects, facilitated tree planting projects and assisted other departments on city improvement projects involving trees.
CMS Environmental Inc., Monterey, California 1998-1999
• Worked with Bureau of Land Management to thin surveyed land in Fort Ord, CA. Job permitted bomb technicians to clear of ordinance for future development and land use. Works included setting up portable weather stations for controlled burns, clearing grid vegetation for ordinance surveys and reporting live ordinance finds.
Community and Public Services
Serve on the Urban Forestry Commission for the City of Portland
Co-Founder and President of Ascending the Giants, a non-profit dedicated to documenting champion trees of the world.
Serve on the Oregon Community Trees Board/State Urban Forest Council
Serve on the 2014 and 2015 PNW-ISA Conference Planning Committee and have created a new training track for climbing arborists
State Coordinator for the Oregon Champion Tree Registry under Oregon Department of Forestry
Featured climber athlete in award winning adventure film, Treeverse
Design and instruct tree climbing clinics for Oregon State University for canopy research and forestry students
Professional Speaker - 2013 ISA Conference, 2012 International Canopy Research Conference, IAS-Hong Kong Conference
Professional Speaker - 2010, Ontario ISA Chapter Conference 2010, ISA-Alberta conference 2012, ISA-PNW conference 2010 and 2013
Designed and facilitated 2012 and 2013’s Canopy Ecology Tours at the Audubon Society’s old-growth sanctuary
Help coordinate and volunteer time with Friends of Trees plantings for the Portland community and train community leaders on how to care for neighborhood trees
Volunteer pruner and illustrator for Portland’s Hoyt Arboretum
Instruct Aerial Rescue classes for Tree Care Companies and local Fire Departments
Coordinator for the annual Regional and PNW tree climbing competition (TCC)
Volunteer raptor rescue for the Portland Audubon Society
Awards and Special Accomplishments
Manyard C. Drawson Memorial Award - Presented the Oregon Heritage Tree Program 2015
Gordon and Sylvia MacWilliams Evergreen Award - Presented by the City of Vancouver 2015
Arborist of the Year Award - Presented by the Pacific Northwest Chapter of the ISA 2014
Award of Merit - Presented by the Pacific Northwest Chapter of the ISA 2009
Presenter Award - Ontario ISA Chapter Conference 2010
Business Award for Ascending the Giants – Oregon Community of Trees 2010
Placed second in 2003 PNW-ISA Tree Climbing Competition (TCC)
Placed first in 2005 Portland regional TCC
Featured in Oregon Field Guide 'Finding Oregon's Tallest Trees Gets Help From Technology' Episode #2902, October 2, 2017
Hired and featured in to develop and manage rigging scenarios for Oregon Field Guide 'Discovering Valhalla' Season 27, EP 9
Featured in CNN's 'Somebody's Gotta Do It'. Setup rigging throughout and assisted Mike Rowe to the top heights of a tree. 2015
Co-author, Scientific Paper – REVIEW OF ROPE-BASED ACESS METHODS FOR THE FOREST CANOPY: SAFE AND UNSAFE PRACTICES IN PUBLISHED INFORMATION SOURCES ANS A SUMMARY OF CURRENT METHODS, published in the British Ecological Society's Journal, Methods in Ecology and Evolution 2015 PDF
Hired to develop and manage rigging scenarios for 'Ok Google' Commercial 2014 The Google app: Road Trip
Author of poster presentation, NOVEL METHODS FOR HORIZONTAL MOVEMENT IN FOREST CANOPIES: ACCESS TO OUTER CROWNS AND OPEN SPACES FOR CANOPY RESEARCH, International Canopy Research Conference, Oaxaca MX, 2012 Confirmation PDF
Starred in film: Ascending the Giants 2009